Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Sun with Moon












My first time to Sun with Moon, and I was very excited indeed.

I went to the Wheelock branch since the one at Central had closed down. It was a pity though, since I had heard rumors which raved about that branch.

It would be interesting to note that dinner only starts at 6.30pm and before that was high tea.

Firstly, stepping into the restaurant, I love the ambience that it has, peaceful and Japanese modern classic style with space between tables for decent amount of privacy. I love the menu that they had; pictures were big, clear and neat, showing delicious food. I did find it awfully similar to the one that Ichiban Boshi Sushi has. But maybe it is quite common to most other Japanese restaurants like Sushi Tei and MOF.

Secondly, I realized that Sun with Moon wasn't as expensive as I thought. Perhaps it was due to the decorations that deters me very much from entertaining. But after looking through the menu, prices were quite similar to those at Sushi Tei.

After flipping through the menu twice! I finally decided with my usual dish, beef Sukiyaki. I reckon that since it was the most common dish I called during my trips to a Japanese restaurant, it would be one dish where I can best compare among the other restaurants.

The food came very quickly indeed! (Awesome service) Barely 10 minutes of talk or so (I did not really timed it), but the food did came very fast indeed. Appearance wise was normal as like other Japanese restaurant that I have ordered before.

One thing about Sukiyaki is it tests on your patience. Once your food arrives, you can't eat it immediately and sadly you have to wait patiently while the soup base bubbles and slowly immerse all the food inside it. Looking at the delicious food in front of me, I was impatient. The waiting time for it to be boiled seems longer then the waiting time for my food to be served to me!

Nevertheless, after the first sip of soup, I felt that this 'long' waiting time was indeed very worthwhile. One word, "sweet". The sweetness of the onions could be tasted in the soup and it was neither salty nor too thick. The soup base was very nicely regulated. I felt that for Sukiyaki, the soup is the most important ingredient. The rest of the ingredients like the cabbage, green vegetables, mushrooms, tofu, tang hoon and onions would be marinating in the soup's goodness. Therefore the soup is very very very important. After the first sip, I was very happy already. =)

Everything else was like the usual Sukiyaki that one would have. Nevertheless, due to the delicious soup, the cabbage and mushroom tasted fantastic and I could help praising the soup more!

The tofu they used was different from the rest. It was a harder kind compared to the smooth and soft kind that the rest used. This is very useful because it does not break or disintegrate easily when being cut or lifted by a chopstick in the hot soup. Sadly, because it is tougher, I could barely taste the soup goodness in it.

Another disappointing thing was also the tang hoon, which they wrapped it together into a neat knot. However, due to this knot, I had to eat the whole tang hoon whole which at a couple of times caused me to burn my tongue. Also, it was a thicker version and hence again I could not taste the sweet soup in it.

Nevertheless, it is one of the better Sukiyaki I had tasted before. =)

Lastly, I also had original infamous tofu cheesecake. It was a very unique taste because they combined tofu and cheesecake. The texture was very tofu, but with the tofu styled making of cheesecake, it did not taste very cheesy unlike what a normal cheesecake is. It was weird the first time I ate it, because the tofu taste was kind of overpowering for me. However, the next few mouths were more delightful. I can never be sick of it! The base was generously made up of digestive biscuits, and it adds flavor to the cake. Since it was a pretty small portion, it was easy to finish it. And it completed my meal very nicely.

I was very happy with my first experience at Sun with Moon, and I would come back to try more food from the menu. Not forgetting, the service was not bad. A pity they only left two branches.

P.S: It would have to be noted that the menu they serve is not exhaustive, because it only showed two flavors of tofu cheesecake, the original and chocolate ones. When in fact, it had five flavors, macha, strawberry and sesame!

No comments:

Post a Comment